Thursday, August 1, 2013

What am I doing here, and who are you people?

Over the past couple of weeks, I have packed, moved 2.5 hours south, unpacked, taken a 200 question ICU/EKG pass/fail test (I would have gotten cancelled, more on that later), gotten six hours of orientation in a hospital I have never stepped foot in (not unusual), started the new assignment, picked up overtime, lost all of my mail, set the stove on fire in the company apartment (crisis averted), spilled the contents of a fist sized sacral wound on my shoe, coded a patient, and finally, got punched in the face by a detoxing psych patient.

I need a beer.


I will say, this facility and its surrounding city is a huge improvement over my last assignment. The unit is mostly organized and clean, the staff is fairly nice, and their computer system is tolerable. After comparing the worst case scenario from my last assignment with my current one, I seem to have found the two extremes of work conditions within travel nursing. I had to learn the hard way, but I am glad that I got it out of the way early. However, after settling into a routine over the past several days, I have encountered my toughest obstacle yet: 

Loneliness

Professionally, I feel as though I can handle most situations either crisis or routine. If a patient's heart stops, you press the big blue button and start compressions.  If someone's sugar is a whopping 10 points and they are unconscious, I just give them dextrose through their IV.  As a nurse I can deal with screaming physicians, condescending families, and bitchy co-workers that need an attitude check. What I can't seem to navigate are my "feelings."  Ugh. Just the word makes me shudder. While I was preparing to take this nursing position, all I could consider was the glamorous opportunities that I would have while I traveled all over the US with my dog. I had faintly mentioned to myself that I would have a reduced social life, but it was a fleeting thought that was overrun by my elation at the possibilities.  

Even among the chaos of my last assignment gone awry, I had another traveler in my apartment building that was my age. We went for drinks a few times, bitched about the hospital, and were general companions. I've been in this new place for two weeks... with no one. Well, I do have Lucy, but you can reference my previous post about how she feels about me these days. Admittedly, I did kind of start seeing someone while I have been here. They are back in my last city though, 2.5 hours away. I can drive fairly frequently to see them, but it is difficult. So, you get the point, mostly alone all of the time.



This all raises a couple of questions about travel nursing. The big one is, "Is this all worth it?" I am away from my entire support system, anything familiar, and since I live in a company furnished apartment, I don't even really have my own things. At the recommendation of a traveler that worked at my last full time job, I did bring a few knick knacks with me that have sentimental meaning. I really do think that that was the best tip I received prior to my departure. When I come home from a 14 or 15 hour shift, it's nice to see stuff my Mom and some friends gave me, even if the benefit is subconscious. 

Normally I would just work 4-5 shifts a week, at 12 hours a piece to fill my time. However, this particular facility frowns on overtime for travelers. I can understand that. A normal employee cost them 1.5 times more than normal. According to my shady math, I cost them 4x more than normal by the time they pay the agency and me. On a healthcare system that is already burdened by cut backs, new Medicare reimbursement policies, and a push to go to entirely electronic medical records, the cost of travelers adds fuel to the fire. Each hospital you go to is going to be in various states of financial disrepair, that is becoming the new norm among medical facilities. It's disheartening, but it's the present reality. 

My personal reality is that I currently can't escape myself. It is just me, myself, and I, with no distractions. As someone that is in their twenties, that brings the whole quintessential "discovering myself" thing to a whole other level.  I have no one to tell me what to do, when to do it. I have several days off at a time, so I really have no schedule of any kind. I've never had this level of freedom before. It's...different. I am not really able to put my finger on it yet. Most people say they would kill for what I do, but the bottom line is that most people require structure to function in a productive manner as human beings whether they like it or not.

So, is this worth it? Absolutely. Sometimes I have to re-convince myself of that answer, but in the end it truly is. The nights alone and endless amounts of time may seem long and empty right now but the adventures I am having in between shifts and in between assignments has far outweighed my temporary bouts of sadness. The sadness and loneliness is not something that really gets spoken about a lot in other blogs and reference material, at least not the ones I looked into. I will tell you, it is there, and it sucks. Sometimes, its palpable. 

It's nights like that on an assignment where you discover who your real friends are. I have friends spread out all over the country and with the advent of Facebook, it's damn near impossible not to know what they are up too.  You have to learn to be honest with people, and vocalize where your head is at. When your primary means of communication is either in text or through voice, it's difficult for people to know that something is up. I find that being away from home has forced my conversation to be more dense and meaningful then before. The "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" theory will really teach you about the people you surrounded yourself with before you left. Friends that love you will remember to contact you, and check up on you. Remember those people, and take note of their efforts. 

I'm coming up on two months of traveling, and the most enjoyable thing I have learned is where my priorities lie. It's no longer about partying (I am really good at it, ask anyone), spending money on frivolous things (Also a talent of mine), or working my way into another tax bracket. It's about other people as human beings, and what you can contribute to their lives, may it be your family, your friends or your patients. If you keep that straight, the rest will work itself out. 


And PS: That pass/fail test? It's a test that some assignments give travelers on arrival in order to determine their eligibility to work. You can drive across the country to start a new job and your ass will be sent packing before orientation even starts if you don't know your stuff. Whatever your specialty may be, you better love it, own it, and learn it.

OH, and just so you know, I made a 95% IN YO' FACE!

1 comment:

  1. People have told me from the very beginning of being on my own that you have to love yourself and have your own life before you can be a good partner. I believe it but also find it annoying, lol. I believe that you are never really alone if you have good friends:) That's why I don't consider myself 'alone' or don't understand 'loneliness'. Also...those who make an effort, keep in touch, etc are your TRUE friends!

    ReplyDelete